Grief Counseling (including anticipatory grief)
Grief counseling can be a deeply supportive, comforting part of our healing process as we face the death or impending death of our loved ones. Many people losing an animal loved one feel as if they are grieving alone--other people may not understand the depth of their love with their animal, the true significance of the relationship, and the depth of their grief. It can often seem like others do not really understand. Even those who genuinely care about us may not truly understand what our animal means to us or the level of pain the loss brings. This can leave us feeling alone, misunderstood, stuck or wondering if something is wrong with us at precisely the time that we most need support, understanding and acknowledgement of what we are experiencing and what we have lost. Even when we are blessed to have others who understand our relationship with our animals, it can still be quite valuable to have private time with a skilled and empathic animal loss grief counselor who can provide us with:
- Loving acknowledgement of the depth of our bond with animals and the true scope of our loss, helping us know we are not alone.
- Listening to all that is in our heart, without judgment and with love and compassion, providing a safe place to tell our story and express any and all of our feelings—however strong, confusing, contradictory, or overwhelming at times--and have them accepted with empathy and understanding.
- Professional, skilled support to work through very challenging issues such as guilt and despair.
- Tools for both everyday coping with loss and long term healing to find peace, meaning and growth.
- Perhaps most of all, having a person who deeply cares, understands and who will not attempt to pacify us with platitudes or impose their own religious, spiritual or new age beliefs about how we are supposed to view animals, our loss, or how we are supposed to heal. Having a compassionately skilled, unconditionally loving witness to our loss, our grief and our process of healing can make all the difference in how we heal our hearts and use the crisis of our loss to grow.
- For those who desire it, these sessions can also include communication with their animal.
1 session $175
Discounts for multiple sessions, paid in advance:
3 sessions $475 ($50 savings; must be used within 6 months)
6 sessions $950 ($100 savings; must be used within 12 months)
10 sessions $1,500 ($250 savings; must be used within 18 m0nths)
All multi-sessions series include the following gifts (a value of $100.95):
- Audio book Legacies of Love, A Gentle Guide to Healing From the Loss of Your Animal Loved One—3 hours of digital mp3 files. Value of $15.95.
- Teleclass Legacies of Love--8 hours of digital mp3 files and 97 pages of workbook handouts. Value of $85.00.
Teresa has a masters degree in counseling psychology, has also completed post graduate work in counseling with Carl Rogers at the University of Nottingham; the Clinical Training Program in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder at the National Center for PTSD, Dept. of Veterans Affairs; and has studied with Elizabeth Kubler Ross, Stephen Levine, John James at the Grief Recovery Institute. She takes ongoing classes with the Association of Death Education and Counseling, and has presented at their international conference. Teresa believes that the loss of a beloved animal is just as significant to many people as the loss of a human, and would never belittle the loss of an animal, even subtly, as something less important than human death. She has offered pet loss grief counseling since 1986, and founded and manages the Animal Loss and Grief Support Program of Study. Animals and the people who love them are the focus of her life's work.